“European Heritage Days” 2017 – Boulbonne Abbey

Boulbonne Abbey
Boulbonne Abbey

The first abbey to bear the name of Boulbonne was located in the nowadays town of Mazères, some 12 km south-east of the current location, and founded in 1129 by Roger III, Count of Foix.
This Cistercian abbey was destroyed by the Huguenot army during the French religious wars in 1567.
In 1652 the Cistercian monks from Toulouse decided to rebuild the abbey but in a new location near the town of Cintegabelle. Between 1664 and 1738 they erect 3 wings of the building and in 1742 the church.
The new abbey had however a short life being seized as national good during the French Revolution and than used as stone quarry.
In 1842 the abbey was bought and has been since a private property. The successive owners, members of the same family, have been trying since to restore the once famous beauty of this monastery.
With the occasion of “European Heritage Days” that took place during the weekend of September 16-17 2017 the Boulbonne Abbey building and its surrounding park were exceptionally open for (entrance free) visits.
Boulbonne Abbey Main Building
Boulbonne Abbey Main Building
Boulbonne Abbey Tower
Boulbonne Abbey Tower
Boulbonne Abbey Church
Only one wall is left from what was the abbey’s church
Boulbonne Abbey right wing
Boulbonne Abbey right wing
Boulbonne Abbey refectory
Boulbonne Abbey refectory – with original wall paintings and sculptures
Boulbonne Abbey Chapter Hall
Boulbonne Abbey Chapter Hall
Share this: