The village of Saint-Amand-de-Coly
Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
The history of Saint-Amand-de-Coly member of the prestigious association "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" is the history of Saint Amand and of the fortified Abbey.
According to the legend Saint-Amand-de-Coly village is situated on the place where in the 6th century AD, a young aristocrat called Amand chose to live a hermit's life in a cave at the foot of the hill.
The young eremite preaches the word of God to the peasants from the villages around, peasants who declare him a saint.
Saint Amand dies at the end of the 6th century. On the site of his modest refuge a monastery is built and a villages is born.
The abbey that can be viewed today was built starting from the 12th century but was finished at the beginning of the 13th century. In the 14th century during the 100 Years War the Abbey is surrounded by a fortification wall -wall that is now the biggest and best preserved fortification wall in Perigord.
During the following centuries the Saint-Amand-de-Coly Abbey is partially destroyed and rebuilt many times until 1886 when it is declared historic monument.