Saint Seurin Basilica
UNESCO Heritage List
Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
For its local importance Saint Seurin was conferred the title of "basilica" in 1823 but the church existed since 11th century.
The church bears the name of Saint Seurin or Saint Severinus, according to tradition the 4th bishop of Bordeaux, who was buried in the cemetery that used to surround the location.
In the 11th century the community of monks that already existed on the site took to the construction of a church to accommodate the influx of pilgrims that were stopping here on their way to Saint James de Compostela.
In the 13th century this church is added the monumental gothic style entrance on the south side (see pictures) composed of 3 arcades one of which contains the tympanum.
During the 14th and 15th centuries several chapels are added including the "Notre-Dame de la Rose" chapel dedicated to Virgin Mary and which was consecrated in 1444 by archbishop Pey Berland.
In the 18th century the great pipe organ is added in the gallery that is rebuilt. During the 19th century is again transformed by architect Pierre Alexandre Poitevin who builds in 1828 a new façade in neo-roman style connected to the old 11th century roman-style entrance situated on the west.
In 1998 the Saint Seurin basilica was added along Saint Michel church and Saint André cathedral in the UNESCO's World Heritage List together with other monuments along the Saint James de Compostela Ways.