Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
Situated at around 30Km from Sarlat-La-Caneda on the road to Les Eyzies - the home of National Prehistory Museum - the castle of Puymartin draws your attention with its crenelated towers.
The castle was built around 1270 by the Sarlat abbots but destroyed completely towards the end of the Hundred Year War (1358).
The castle was rebuilt by Radulphe de Saint-Clar in 1450 and was used by his grandson Raymond de Saint-Clar as a headquarter for his fight against the protestants in the Wars of Religion of the 16th century.
At the time of the French Revolution its owner François Roffignac de Carbonnier de Marzac is put in jail and the castle is abandoned.
Only at the end of the 19th century the marquess Marc de Carbonnier de Marzac restores the castle. The current owner is the de Montbron family his descendants.
The interior of the castle is decorated with well preserved fine furniture, tapestries and paintings. The legend says that the castle is haunted by the ghost of Therese de Saint Clar known as "La Dame Blanche".
In the 16th century, the wife of Raymond de Saint-Clar, surprised by her husband on his return from war in the arms of her lover, has been imprisoned in a small room in the north tower of the castle for last 15 years of her life.
On her death she was walled in the walls of the same room.
Since then many people claim to have seen her ghost wandering on the hallways of Puymartin castle.
10am to 12pm and 2pm to 6 pm
10am to 12pm and 2pm to 6:30pm
10am to 6:30pm
October to November 11th: 2pm to 5:30pm, morning on reservation.