cities in france

Cities in the southwest France: history, tourist sites, activities.

View All Cities

france tours suggestions

Eight suggestions for touring the southwest of France.

View All Stories

french gastronomy

Traditional dish recipes from southwest part of France.

View All Recipes

french trivia

France in facts and figures! Interesting less known facts about France

Check Out!


Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)

Pujols-le-Haut is a small village on the top of steep cliff - 180 meter altitude - overlooking the Lot and Mass rivers valleys.
The first documented mention of the village dates from 1259, when it was described as a relatively important town belonging to the Count of Toulouse.
During the Crusade against the Cathars the village's fortifications were destroyed but rebuilt later by the local baron Jean de Pujols at the end of 13th and beginning of the 14th century. Some parts of these late fortified wall can still be seen at the "English Gateway" and the "Bell Tower Gateway" (bellow the bell tower of Saint Nicholas church).
The Saint Nicolas church of Pujols was built around 1547 by Jean d'Esclamat, baron of Pujols first under the name "Notre Dame et Saint Pierre". Later at the demolition of the old Saint Nicolas church it took the ancient church's name.
Sainte Foy church was built at the end of the 15th century or the beginning of the 16th century and preserves some murals of that time.

facebook share tweeter share

Address:47300, Pujols
Web Site:
Visiting Hours:


Added by: Sandra Sedgwick Added on: 25 Nov 2013

In 1223 a Cathar council was held in Pujols and in 1228 the town.bastide was raised to the ground by Amaury de Montfort, son of Simon de Montfort after a three year siege. The town of Villeneuve sur Lot, which was the new town of Pujols was built in 1253 by Alphonse de Poitier. Town of Pujols was rebuilt towards the end of 13 to the beginning of 14th centuries. I have had a house in the bastide for 25 years and researching the history of Pujols and its connection with the Cathars. The Port des Anglais is supposed to be where de Montfort lead his army into the village. The Marie for Villeneuve Sur Lot was in Pujols until 1960s.


Add a Comment