Phares des Baleines (Lighthouse of the Whales)
Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
The lighthouses located next to each other are situated on the most western point of the island of Re (Ile de Re).
The old Lighthouse of the Whales - a 30 meters high structure- was built by Vauban in 1682 and was in service until 1854 when the new lighthouse was built. It is the second oldest lighthouse of France after the one of Cordouan in the Gironde estuary.
The new lighthouse has 57meters in height.
The top can be reached after a 257 steps ascent but the effort is worthwhile since the panorama - the island and the ocean - that opens in front of your eyes is an exceptional one.
For information about all the lighthouses that can be visited on the South west French Atlantic coast click here.
January / February / March / October / November / December from 10.30 am to 5.30 pm April / May / June from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm June 19 / September 19 from 9:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. September from 10h00 to 6:30pm