Old Nerac and Nerac Fortifications
Visitor's Rating: (2 out of 4/Number of Votes:1)
The first mention of Nerac fortifications dates from 11th century when a donation was made by one named Arsieu d’Olbion in 1088 to the Benedictine Abbey of Condom.
The second line fortification was probably built in the 14th century. In the 16th century on the orders of Antoine de Bourbon, King of Navarre by marriage with Jeanne d’Albret, the first fortification line is demolished. The second one that surrounds "The Grand" Nerac and "The Little" Nerac plays a defensive role in the Religious Wars and is dismantled only in 1621 when the protestant town is defeated by the royal armies (catholic).
During the Fronde in 1650 some efforts are made to rebuilt what is left of the protection walls, but in the 18th century the remaining ramparts are replaced with alleys.
Nerac is very small but has many monuments. The old part is quite small.