Louis XIV Museum
Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
The museum situated in the Louis XIV Central Square in Saint Jean de Luz is a beautiful 17th century house, built between 1643 and 1645 by Juoannis de Lohobiague – hence the house name Lohobiague-enea - , a rich ship owner and the town’s mayor, in a Louis XIII architectural style.
According to the local stories the house’s view of the port was obstructed in the second part of the 17th century by the construction of the town’s city hall by the new mayor Jean de Casabielhe who wanted to punish the landlady of Lohobiague who was refusing his advances.
Lohobiague-enea is the place where King Luis XIV stayed in the days of his marriage to Maria Theresa of Spain celebration in May-June 1660.
The house is a private property inhabited since its construction by the same family. During the guided visits one can admire the beautiful collection of furniture, paintings and tableware, all 350 years old!