La Rochelle City Churches
Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
The old part of La Rochelle has 3 big churches: Saint-Sauveur, the Cathedral of Saint Louis and the Protestant Temple.
Saint Sauveur church as we see it now was built in the first part of the 18th century on the place of a Romanesque church built in the 12th century but destroyed during the war of religions in 1568. So attached was La Rochelle to its seafaring life that ship miniatures are hanging on the walls of the church.
The biggest of the three churches is Saint Louis Cathedral. As in the case of Saint-Sauveur the existent church was built on the place the old parish of Saint Bartholomew destroyed in 1568 as well. Only the bell tower from this previous building survives. The actual church was built during the second part of the 18th century starting from 1742 after the plans of the architect Jacques V. Gabriel. Interrupted during the revolution the church work was finished finally in 1862.
The interior decoration of the cathedral is a "narrative" of La Rochelle history starting with the templar tombstones on the first left hand chapel and continuing with maritime thanksgiving plaques and stained glass windows depicting the port's towers as they were before their 20th century restoration (work of the Lobin studio).
The church is also decorated with fine paintings dating mainly from the 19th century.