Historic "Hôtels Particuliers"
Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
Toulouse is well known for its beautiful residences -called here hôtels particuliers - built mainly during the 15th and 16th centuries when pastel - this blue vegetable dye - brought wealth to the region.
Among these building some that stand out are l'hotel de Bernuy, l'hôtel de Pierre and l'hôtel d'Assézat.
The Bernuy hôtel located at 1 Rue Gambetta, in the historic part of Toulouse, was built between 1528 and 1532 after the plans of master builder Louis Privat. Its design marks the beginning of the Renaissance style in Toulouse's architecture.
The hôtel bears the name of its first owner - the man who commissioned the building - Jean de Bernuy a very rich pastel merchant - he was the person who paid Charles V the bail for the release of King Francois I taken hostage by the emperor at Pavia. The history records also that de Bernuy was killed in the hôtel's courtyard, killed by a bull enraged by a dog.
Since the 19th century the Bernuy townhouse has been occupied by "Pierre Fermat" college.
Bernuy Hôtel can be visited entrance free.
Assézat hôtel, located in Place d'Assézat, is arguably the most prestigious of the Renaissance buildings of Toulouse. The first owner of this palace was Pierre d'Assézat, another wealthy pastel merchant and city capitoul. He entrusted the construction project to Nicolas Bachelier, one of the most famous architects of Toulouse during the 16th century. Assézat residence was built between 1555 and 1557 and it remained in the Assézat family property until 1761.
Nowadays the building houses 6 different organization including the Bemberg Foundation - that has permanent and temporary art exhibitions - and "L'académie des Jeux Floraux" - an association set up almost 700 years ago, more precisely in 1323, by seven minstrel, for the purpose of the perpetuation of the courtly love literature and music tradition in Toulouse.
Assézat Hôtel can be visited entrance free.
The Hôtel de Bagis, or hôtel Clary, or hôtel de pierre - translated stone hotel - is an exceptionally beautiful building situated also in the old center of Toulouse, at 25 Rue de la Dalbade. It is a historical monument since 1889.
Its first owner was Jean Bagis - a member of Bordeaux (!) parliament - who commissioned the design to Nicolas Bachelier - the same architect that, as mentioned above, designed Hôtel d'Assézat. The hôtel de pierre was built between 1533 and 1537, but its impressive stone carved façade - a novelty at the time in a city made of bricks and that gave the building its name - was partially created later, in the beginning of the 17th century, to be finished in…1857.
Hôtel de Pierre is a private property and can be admired only from outside.