Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
Fort Lupin is a small defensive structure whose construction - between 1683 and 1686 - was led by Vauban.
It was built on the south bank of the estuary of the Charente to protect access to the arsenal of Rochefort. The fort consists of a semi-circular battery for use against ships, a central tower and a front including a water trench to protect the landward side.
It is located near the little town of Saint-Nazaire-sur-Charente. It is a private property and can be visited inside only during « Les journees du patrimoine » a cultural event that takes place each year on the third weekend of September. However it can be visited from outside the walls following the path along the Charente river banks.
The fort sits across the river from another Vauban fortification: Fort La Pointe (or Vasou) the first fort built in 1672 for the protection of the Rechefort arsenal (this fort also is a private property and cannot be visited).