cities in france

Cities in the southwest France: history, tourist sites, activities.

View All Cities

france tours suggestions

Eight suggestions for touring the southwest of France.

View All Stories

french gastronomy

Traditional dish recipes from southwest part of France.

View All Recipes

french trivia

France in facts and figures! Interesting less known facts about France

Check Out!

Dax City Center

Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)

The center of the city of Dax can be visited in few hours (this does not include of course visits to the museums or the Sarrat Botanic Garden, etc.). It makes an enjoyable morning or afternoon.
There are many interesting sites that can be seen or visited the most outstanding ones - at least in terms of size and place - being the “Splendid Hotel” and the “Thermes” Residence. The “Splendid Hotel” was built in the second part of the 1920s in “Art Deco” style on the place occupied successively by a viscount castle (11th and 12th century), barracks (16th to 17th century) and a thermal establishment (in the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century) that was destroyed by fire in 1926. Splendid Hotel can be visited during the "Architectures" guided tour provided by the Dax Tourist Office. The “Thermes” Residence is a metal and glass construction built in 1992.
Another important site is the Notre Dame Cathedral. It was built during 2 centuries in a “neo-Greek” style starting in 1646 on the place of the old cathedral that collapsed after a 400 years existence. The Cathedral can be visited every day between 9:15am and 12pm and 2:30 pm and 7pm.
A building complex that catches the eyes with its Andalusian style architecture is the “Arènes” -the Bullring. It was erected in 1913 and enlarged in 1932. Up until two centuries ago the cow races and the bull fights were taking place in the streets of Dax, but at the end of the 18th century the governing authorities of the city were forced to forbid all the races outside closed and delimited spaces due to the number of accidents. If the first “enclosed” bull fights were taking place in the ancient Convent of Cordeliers, later, in the beginning of the 19th century, they moved to the first bullring built of wood and with a capacity of 2000 spectators. The old bullring was later replaced by the new concrete made “arènas” that was opened the 10th May 1913.
Like the Miremont Pastry Shop of Biarritz that is a bakerie and an historic monument, Dax's "Atrium" - a theater and a pub - built in the first half of the 19th century, is also listed as a monument. The theatre's hall is gorgeously decorated in gilded stucco representing personages and animals on a floral background.

facebook share tweeter share

Address:
Web Site:
Latitude:43.7086
Longitude:-1.0519
Visiting Hours:

Comments:

Add a Comment





Rating: