Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
Laurence of Arabia described it in 1908 "Its so perfect it seems ridiculous to call it a ruin".
Bonaguil castle sits perched on a hill overlooking the Theze and Lémance rivers valleys.
The castle was initially built in the 13th century but extensively overhauled in the 15th, 16th and 18th century. It is a live representation of the evolution of the defense architecture throughout the centuries.
The castle is first mentioned in a document dating from 1271 when it was in the property of King Philippe III Le Hardi.
The most important reconstruction phase in the history of the castle took part in the life of Bérenger de Roquefeuil (1448-1530) the landlord who dedicated 30 years of his life to make Bonaguil the legendary stronghold that we can still admire today. Bérenger de Roquefeuil adds to his castle no less then 13 towers and turrets the tallest - the Grand Tower - 40 meters (130 feet) high and the latest advancements in the defensive architecture: a barbican covering the access to the castle, 7 drawing bridges, firing chambers and artillery stepped terraces.
This military defensive project finishes at the time when the wind of Renaissance starts blowing in Europe making the fortress an already obsolete shaped castle.
In the 1761 the castle becomes the property of Marguerite de Fumel - who buys it for the sum of 35000 pound (or €186,000 in today's money!). Marguerite de Fumel tries to soften the austere military look by making the drawbridges dormant bridges, adding some apartments and decorating the interior with wall paneling, and creating a panoramic garden below her apartments.
Related article: Magical square of Bonaguil