cities in france

Cities in the southwest France: history, tourist sites, activities.

View All Cities

france tours suggestions

Eight suggestions for touring the southwest of France.

View All Stories

french gastronomy

Traditional dish recipes from southwest part of France.

View All Recipes

french trivia

France in facts and figures! Interesting less known facts about France

Check Out!

Belvès

Visitor's Rating: (3 out of 4/Number of Votes:1)

Belves the medieval town so called of the 7 bell towers is a member of the "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" organization.
The written history of Belvès starts in the 9th century - even though the region was inhabited since antiquity - when a monastery is built of the site of the actual Notre Dame de Montcuq church. In the 11th century the village is fortified - from the old fortifications there still exist one of the gates and the tower of the "Auditeur".
During the Franco-English wars that followed the marriage of Eleanor of Aquitaine to King Henry II Plantagenet for the supremacy over Aquitaine Belves was one of the important points of conflict and did change hands several times.
One of the points of historic interest of Belves is the Notre Dame de Montcuq church built on the site of an old Benedictine monastery, whose central part and the lateral chapels were built between 1250 and 1270.
One can also admire the Consuls house - the consuls forming of course the governing body of the town - that is now the Tourism office built initially in the 11th century but rebuilt in the 15th and the 16th century and its Filhols tower that houses the town bell (a bell was placed there in 1450 but the existing bell is dating from the 17th century). A little further on the same street there is the old Bontemps house built initially in the 12 century but renovated in the Renaissance style in 1520, and even further the town hospital (!) housed in a 17th century building.
Close to the old fortified gate there is the entrance in the cave dwellings formed in the old defensive ditch and inhabited between 13th and 18th centuries.

facebook share tweeter share

Address:
Latitude:44.7745
Longitude:1.0052
Visiting Hours:

Comments:

Added by: Nancy Added on: 05 Jun 2012

I would say one of the nicest little towns in the region!

Rating:

Add a Comment





Rating: