Agen Bridge Channel
Visitor's Rating: (0 out of 4/Number of Votes:0)
With a length of 539 meters or 1768 feet, supported by 23 arches, the Agen Bridge Channel is the second longest water bridge of France after the one of Briare in the Central region of the country.
The bridge unites the banks of Garonne River via a water highway that is part of the "Canal Latéral de la Garonne".
The bridge was built between 1839 and 1849 using Quercy stone only.
The first stone was in fact laid on the 25th of August 1839 by the Duke d'Orleans the oldest son of Louis Phillipe.
The bridge is nowadays used by the recreational boaters and its sides are a preferred walking and jogging site of the Agenais.