cities in france

Cities in the southwest France: history, tourist sites, activities.

View All Cities

france tours suggestions

Eight suggestions for touring the southwest of France.

View All Stories

french gastronomy

Traditional dish recipes from southwest part of France.

View All Recipes

french trivia

France in facts and figures! Interesting less known facts about France

Check Out!

Tourist Sites in and around Perigueux

Tourist sites and attractions within a radius of km* from the city center

* The distances are point to point and not driving distances!

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 0.15 km

Saint Front Cathedral Saint Front Cathedral is a UNESCO listed monument (together with other sites on route to Santiago de Compostela) and a major landmark of Perigueux.
The church was reconstructed in the middle of the 19th century by the famous architect Paul Abadie - the architect of Sacré-Cœur basilica of de Paris (that he wanted to build by the model of Saint Front de Périgueux).
The church is dedicated to Saint Front who brought Christian religion to Perigord and who was buried on the hill that the church sits on.
The first place of worship on the hill was built where the present entrance is located, in the 6th century AD. This first church was partially destroyed by the Normand invaders.
In the late 10th century...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 0.16 km

Périgueux Old Town Périgueux old town surrounds the Saint Front cathedral.
It is a network of narrow streets, large - by the standards of the time of their formation - squares (now used by the many restaurants terraces), and tall (again by the standard of the times their were built) houses, some - like the Gamanson residence - topped with a multitude of differently shaped turrets.
The houses mostly built in the 15th and 16th centuries bear witness to the opulence of Périgueux in that period.
The oldest monument is the Mataguerre tower built in the 12th century and the only remaining bastion of the old fortification.
One of the most remarkable buildings is the so called Gamanson residence (known also as Saint Front residence)....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 34.52 km

Hautefort Castle and Gardens With its classical elegant architecture, its splendid 17th and 18th centuries furniture collection, the "a la française" gardens and English style park the Hautefort Castle and its surroundings constitute a site unique in Perigord, a compound that looks like having been moved here from the famous Loire valley.
The castle sits atop a hill overlooking the village of Hautefort (It is easily accessible by car via a departmental road!).
The origins of the castle can be traced to 12th century when its place was occupied by a fortress owned by the famous bellicose troubadour Bertran de Born - The Viscount of Hautefort whom Dante Alighieri portrays the "Inferno" carrying his decapitated head like a torch.
After...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 35.28 km

Roque Saint-Christophe Roque Saint-Christophe is a kilometer long, sixty meters high limestone cliff.
It is located in the town of Peyzac-le-Moustier near the town of Les Eyzies in the Dordogne, France.
Over time the frost and the water have dug numerous rock shelters and long terraces in the calcareous sides of the Dordogne's mild cliffs - and Roque Saint-Christophe was one of them.
These natural cavities have served as shelters for the Prehistoric humans as long ago as the 55,000 before present (BP).
In the more recent centuries of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, the caves were used as fortified refuges for the local population as was the case during the Hundred Years War of the 14th and the 15th century and...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 35.64 km

Limeuil Limeuil village stands out not only as one of the member of the "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" but through its history. One of the most remarkable points of interest of Perigord is Limeuil old parish church.
Situated near the entrance in the village, this simple style chapel was built in 1194 on the order of King Richard 1st the Lionheart. It is dedicated - as written on one of the stone tablets still preserved on the left interior wall and that was laid on the 30th of January 1194 - to many saints including Thomas Becket, described as Archbishop and Martyr, the priest killed by Richard's father King Henry II.
The second church of the village is the Saint Catherine church...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 35.88 km

Commarque Castle Commarque Castle is now a romantic ruin that dominates the valley of Beune.
The site is a repository of layers of archaeological traces that date since 100,000 years ago. For at the feet of the the medieval fortress there is a neolithic troglodytic village that was build on top of prehistoric caves that still preserve carved animals on the walls, including a beautiful life-sized horse (the cave is not open to the public).
In the 12th century the castle was donated by its owner of the time Gerard de Comarque, at his departure to a crusade, to the Templars.
The castle was abandoned in 16th century and only in 1970 its actual owner Hubert de Commarque decided to buy the...

facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO World Heritage At around: 36.11 km

Prehistoric Sites of the Vézère Valley The prehistoric sites on the Vézère River valley are, due to their outstanding historic and artistic value, listed in the UNESCO's World Heritage list. For more the information and a map of the most important sites please go to: Prehistoric sites of Vézère River valley...
facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 37.91 km

Lascaux Caves Lascaux Cave was discovered in September 1940 by a mechanic apprentice called Marcel Ravidat.
He and three other youngsters from the village of Montignac descended in the cave on the 12 of September 1940 and were the first visitors of the modern times to see the paintings left by the Cro-Magnon human (Homo Sapiens Sapiens) - the anatomically modern humans - who came to Europe between 40,000 and 10,000 years ago in an age called Upper Paleolithic!
In 1950 Lascaux Cave was one of the first archaeological sites to use the new - at the time! - dating technique of Carbon 17, and its artifacts were date more precisely to around 17,000 years BC.
Due to the quantity and the quality...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 41.19 km

Bergerac Old Town Bergerac is the capital of "Perigord Purple" the part of Perigord region that takes its "color" from the tannin loaded black grapes that grow extensively here.
Bergerac's origin is linked to the existence in the 11th century on the boards of the Dordogne of a castle around which a small village is formed. In the 12th century the little town builds the Saint Jacques church and a century later a bridge over Dordogne.
The late middle ages are times of expansion and Bergerac flourishes on its wine production and commerce. Its economical force renders the town powerful enough to be recognized as a quasi-independent and self governing entity and this in turn allows Bergerac to escape unscattered from the Hundred Years...

facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 43.17 km

Cadouin Abbey Cadouin Abbey was founded in 1115 initially as a simple hermitage by Géraud de Salles. The church, the sacristy and the foundations of the rest of the convent building date from that time.
In 1119 the hermitage becomes one of the first monasteries affiliated to the Cistercian order as a new branch springing from the Pontigny abbey, the Cistercian order being a tree like organization.
The Cistercian order is a Catholic monastic order, which originated with the foundation of the Citeaux abbey by Robert de Molesme in 1098. It is an order that preaches the living rules of Saint Benedict that imply asceticism and liturgical rigor - 7 prayer times per day - centered around manual work as...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 43.51 km

The village of Saint-Amand-de-Coly The history of Saint-Amand-de-Coly member of the prestigious association "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" is the history of Saint Amand and of the fortified Abbey.
According to the legend Saint-Amand-de-Coly village is situated on the place where in the 6th century AD, a young aristocrat called Amand chose to live a hermit's life in a cave at the foot of the hill.
The young eremite preaches the word of God to the peasants from the villages around, peasants who declare him a saint.
Saint Amand dies at the end of the 6th century. On the site of his modest refuge a monastery is built and a villages is born.
The abbey that can be viewed...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 44.04 km

Jumilhac Castle Jumillac Castle situated in the village of Jumilhac le Grand near the head of the river Isle was in the first centuries of the second millennium a fortress on the line of defense of the Counts of Limoges. The castle was remodeled in the 15th, 16th and the 17th century.
The dominant architectural style is the Gothic one but with some Renaissance style influences. The most striking part of the castle is its slate roof studded with different shapes watch towers and turrets, the middle one topped by a "Marquess hat" shaped cupola.
The castle preserves in the beautifully paneled reception hall one of the few wooden fireplaces that still exists in France. According to one legend, in the early years of...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 44.51 km

Puymartin Castle Situated at around 30Km from Sarlat-La-Caneda on the road to Les Eyzies - the home of National Prehistory Museum - the castle of Puymartin draws your attention with its crenelated towers.
The castle was built around 1270 by the Sarlat abbots but destroyed completely towards the end of the Hundred Year War (1358).
The castle was rebuilt by Radulphe de Saint-Clar in 1450 and was used by his grandson Raymond de Saint-Clar as a headquarter for his fight against the protestants in the Wars of Religion of the 16th century.
At the time of the French Revolution its owner François Roffignac de Carbonnier de Marzac is put in jail and the castle is abandoned.
Only at the end of the...

facebook share tweeter share