Pau's Short History
Pau is located in the department of Pyrénées-Atlantiques in the Aquitaine region. Since 1450 Pau is the capital of the former French region of Bearn. With its suburbs forms a urban agglomeration of 150 000 inhabitants. Pau holds the record for the greenest city in Europe with more then 700ha of parks.
It is the birth place of not one but two kings: “Lo Noste Enric” that in Bearnaise – the local language - means “Our Henri” of course King Henri IV of France and King Charles XIV of Sweden born in Pau as Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte the founder of the House of Bernadotte, the current Royal House of the Kingdom of Sweden.
Pau has a powerful British influence that dates since the arrivals in the beginning of the 19th century of the victorious British soldiers under the command of Field Marshal Wellington. The British brought with them their traditions like fox hunt, that is still practiced today, and golf, the first golf course of the continent was create in Pau at Billere in 1856, and made from this town one of the most famous tourist destinations of the 19th century. In 1909 the Wright brothers set up in Pau world’s first flight school.