cities in france

Cities in the southwest France: history, tourist sites, activities.

View All Cities

france tours suggestions

Eight suggestions for touring the southwest of France.

View All Stories

french gastronomy

Traditional dish recipes from southwest part of France.

View All Recipes

french trivia

France in facts and figures! Interesting less known facts about France

Check Out!

Tourist Sites in and around Nerac

Tourist sites and attractions within a radius of km* from the city center

* The distances are point to point and not driving distances!

At around: 0 km

Nerac Castle The castle was the residence of d'Albret family the kings of Navarre since Amanieu VI d'Albret in the 13th century. Marguerite d'Angouleme(de Navarre) the wife of Henri II d'Albret and later her daughter Jeanne d'Albret make make from Nerac a center of European culture and huguenot bastion.
It is there that Marguerite de Navarre - arguably the best female writer of the 16th century - writes The Heptameron.
Between 1577 and 1582 was the principal home of King Henri de Navarre and his wife Queen Marguerite de Valois, who were holding in Nerac a court comparable with the one at the Louvre. Queen Margot will always remember during her life the "joie de vivre" of the court...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 0.29 km

Garenne Park Originally, the park close to the royal castle of Nerac was founded by Antoine de Bourbon, father of Henri IV. It was enlarged a few years later by Queen Margot, the first wife of the future Henri IV. The park lays along the Baise river banks and is around 2.5 km long.

It makes a nice walking path dotted with historic tokens like the statue of Fleurette - the presumed tragic love of young Henri who killed herself when the king abandoned her (in reality there are documents attesting to the life of a named Fleurette who lived a long life and had several children) and the Dauphin fountain - the fountain built to celebrate the birth of future...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 0.44 km

Saint Nicolas Cathedral During the 11th century the little town of Nerac and a Benedictine priory were built on the banks of the river Baise. In 1096 the Pope Urban II dedicates the church in Nerac to Saint Nicolas. The initial building deteriorated over the time and in the middle of the 17th century the leading citizens of the town decided to build a new church on the same location. The present church - a wonderful example of the neo-classical architectural style - was built between 1759 and 1787. During French Revolution served as a Temple of the Supreme Being! The beautiful mural paintings and stained glass windows date from 1855....
facebook share tweeter share

At around: 0.45 km

Old Nerac and Nerac Fortifications The first mention of Nerac fortifications dates from 11th century when a donation was made by one named Arsieu d’Olbion in 1088 to the Benedictine Abbey of Condom. The second line fortification was probably built in the 14th century. In the 16th century on the orders of Antoine de Bourbon, King of Navarre by marriage with Jeanne d’Albret, the first fortification line is demolished. The second one that surrounds "The Grand" Nerac and "The Little" Nerac plays a defensive role in the Religious Wars and is dismantled only in 1621 when the protestant town is defeated by the royal armies (catholic).
During the Fronde in 1650 some efforts are made to rebuilt what is left of the protection walls, but in...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 4.67 km

Henri IV Mill The mill - situated on the Nerac town outskirts facing the town of Barbaste - was built at the begining of the 14th century and was in the property of the house of d'Albret . The fortified construction was a used also as the tax collector's house. The mill is located upstream from the ten arches bridge over Ténarèze river, bridge built in the 13th century. The young Henri de Navarre was signing some of his letters with " Henri the Miller of Barbaste"! The building complex has been listed as a Historic Monumement since 1889.
It is a modest monument still linked with the young king....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 18.21 km

Fourcès Fourcès is a little village in Gers deparment, member of the "Les plus beaux villages de France" organization.
The first testimony of the existence of Fourcès dates from 1068 when a charter attests the existence of a fortification situated in what is now the center of the village. During the Hundred Years War between France and England Fourcès changes sides many times and in 1488 King Charles VII of France gives the order of the destruction of the Forcès fortress for "felony and disloyalty ". The new castle that can be seen today on the banks of the river Auzoue (it is a private property) was built by Bertrand de Fourcès starting in 1491 during the reign of Louis XII.
To enter Fourcès, when...

facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 19.7 km

Condom and Flaran Abbey The town of Condom is situated in the department of Gers in Midi-Pyrenees region, on the banks of the Baise river.
While it has 18 buildings listed as historical monuments by the Ministry of Culture of France the most important are the Saint Pierre Cathedral and its cloister.
The town of Condom, named in the ancient times "Condatomagus" was inhabited since roman occupation of Aquitaine.
The first Christian church of Condom was built by Benedictine monks in the beginning of the 11th century, and was as it is nowadays dedicated to Saint Pierre.
This first church was replaced in the 14th century by a new one, built on the eastern side of the today cathedral. This 14th century construction was enlarged in the...

facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 20.88 km

La Romieu The La Romieu little village - population 550 - was founded in 1062 by to Benedictine monks after their pilgrimage to Rome.
In the 14th century Arnaud d'Aux de Lescout, a native of La Romieu who later became Cardinal and Chamberlain to his cousin Pope Clément V, decided to built a religious college in his village.
Arnaud d'Aux, called by Clément's successor Pope John XXII "one of the pillars of the Catholic Church" is mostly known for his presiding over the process of the Templars that started in 1307 and the process of canonization of Saint Thomas d'Aquin.
The collegiate was built between 1312 and 1318 and was inaugurated the 30 of July 1318.
At the time it was including the church...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 21.02 km

Moirax Moirax is situated only 10 km south of Agen, the departmental capital of Lot-et-Garonne.
While according to some historians the place was occupied since antiquity, its real history starts in 1049, when Guillaume Arnauld, the local landlord donates some land for the construction of a Clunisien priory.
The construction of the church starts only in 1060 and lasts until 1140!
The Moirax priory becomes also an important stop of the Saint Jacques de Compostelle pilgrims and a "sauveté"- a boarding house for the medieval people chased from their villages by different wars.
The village that grows around the church and the priory itself suffer during the Hundred Years War and the religious Wars.
In 1569 the warlord and chronicler Blaise de Monluc, who came to...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 21.32 km

Larressingle Larressingle is a tiny - population 204 - fortified village in Gers department.
It is a member of the "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" organization. In the Middle Ages it was the residence of the Abbots of Condom who built the castle, replaced the ancient church of the town and fortified the place during the 12th and the 13th century.
The name Larressingle derives from the Latin "retro cingulum" that means place surrounded by walls and implies the possibility that the place was encircled by fortifications during the Roman occupation of the South West of France, walls that were replaced as mentioned above in the Middle Ages.
The castle was inhabited by the Abbots until the 17th century.
In the 18th century the...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 22.31 km

Agen Bridge Channel With a length of 539 meters or 1768 feet, supported by 23 arches, the Agen Bridge Channel is the second longest water bridge of France after the one of Briare in the Central region of the country.
The bridge unites the banks of Garonne River via a water highway that is part of the "Canal Latéral de la Garonne".
The bridge was built between 1839 and 1849 using Quercy stone only.
The first stone was in fact laid on the 25th of August 1839 by the Duke d'Orleans the oldest son of Louis Phillipe.
The bridge is nowadays used by the recreational boaters and its sides are a preferred walking and jogging site of the Agenais. ...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 22.95 km

Agen Old Town Agen's old part - that covers the center of the city - has several historical jewels.
One of them is the former church of Notre Dame des Jacobins. The old Dominican (or Jacobin) convent was built in 1249 and is one of the few, still in existence, examples of the Dominican architecture style in France.
In 1254 the convent was extended due to the generosity of the local landlord Alphonse de Poitiers - brother of King Louis IX also known as Saint Louis.
This somber convent was in the 13th century the witness of major events in the 13th and the 14th century. It is here that in 1279 the ceremony of handing over the Agen region by the French King Philip III le...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 24.28 km

Madaillan  Castle The little Madaillan castle situated in the village with the same name was declared a historical monument in 1942.
The castle was built between the 13th and 15th century and took part in the Hundred Years Wars and the religious wars when it was Huguenot stronghold....

facebook share tweeter share

Station de Tourisme, Spa Resort At around: 31.52 km

Lectoure Lectoure, population just over 4000, is one of the oldest towns in the Gers department and the capital of Lomagne historical region. Lectoure’s nowadays location has been inhabited since Gallo-Roman times but it is during the barbarian invasions of the first half of the first millennium of the Christian era the town surrounded itself with fortified walls.
During the high times of the Pilgrimage to Saint James de Compostela Lectoure was a stop on the Via Podiensis, one of the three major French branches of the Ways of St. James(still is to for the present-day pilgrims).
Throughout the Hundred Years Wars Lectoure was temporary under English domination – it is during this time that its Saint Gervais Cathedral with...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 39.26 km

Pujol-le-Haut Pujols-le-Haut is a small village on the top of steep cliff - 180 meter altitude - overlooking the Lot and Mass rivers valleys.
The first documented mention of the village dates from 1259, when it was described as a relatively important town belonging to the Count of Toulouse.
During the Crusade against the Cathars the village's fortifications were destroyed but rebuilt later by the local baron Jean de Pujols at the end of 13th and beginning of the 14th century. Some parts of these late fortified wall can still be seen at the "English Gateway" and the "Bell Tower Gateway" (bellow the bell tower of Saint Nicholas church).
The Saint Nicolas church of Pujols was built around 1547 by Jean d'Esclamat, baron...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 43.65 km

Lavardens Situated in the middle of the department of Gers at around 20 km from the departmental capital of Auch, the medieval village Lavardens - population 375 - is listed as one of the most beautiful of France ("Les Plus Beaux Villages de France")
The little town that occupies a 300 meters high hill overlooking the fields of Gers has 2 important monuments: the castle and the bell tower of the Saint Michel church.
The church was founded in the 14th century by the then land lords the Counts of Armagnac.
The interior of the church is a beautifully simple one with interesting mosaics and painted glass windows.
The Lavardens castle is listed as a Historic Monument since 1961
The castle has his origin in the...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 44.89 km

Auvillar Auvillar, a little town of just under 1,000 inhabitants situated in the Tarn-et-Garonne department of the southwest France, is listed as one of "Les Plus Beux Villages de France" ("The most beautiful villages of France") since 1994.
Located on a rocky outcrop overlooking the valley of the Garonne River, the village was founded during the Roman time occupation of the region in the 1st century BC.
Throughout history Auvillar took part in all the conflicts that ravaged the region such as the crusade against the Albigensians, the Hundred Years War, the wars of religion etc. In the 14th and 15th centuries, the town was the property of the Counts of Armagnac before becoming in the 16th century the fief of the Kings of...

facebook share tweeter share