cities in france

Cities in the southwest France: history, tourist sites, activities.

View All Cities

france tours suggestions

Eight suggestions for touring the southwest of France.

View All Stories

french gastronomy

Traditional dish recipes from southwest part of France.

View All Recipes

french trivia

France in facts and figures! Interesting less known facts about France

Check Out!

Tourist Sites in and around Narbonne

Tourist sites and attractions within a radius of km* from the city center

* The distances are point to point and not driving distances!

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 0 km

Interesting Sites of Narbonne Beside the Saint Just Saint Pasteur Cathedral and the Archbishop's Palace Narbonne, has several other interesting sites.
The most accessible one is the "de la Robine" channel that runs through the centre of the city. Robine channel is part of a bigger structure called "La Nouvelle branch" which is a waterway that links the "Canal du Midi" to the Mediterranean Sea.
La Robine channel was built in the late 17th century by Vauban and is listed together with the rest of the Canal du Midi in the UNESCO's Heritage list.
One interesting site on the channel is its Merchants Bridge. This bridge replaced the old roman bridge that was part of the Via Domitia (a part of Via Domitia was discovered in 1997 and...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 0 km

Saint Just Saint Pasteur Cathedral Saint Just Saint Pasteur Cathedral of Narbonne is its - unfinished by the standards of its initial planning as 120 meters (around 370 feet) long edifice! - Crown jewel.
The Cathedral is located on the site of 3 former successive churches.
The initial church was built right after the Edict of Milan in 313 AD when the Christianism became the official religion of the Roman Empire. This structure was replaced in 445 AD, after it was destroyed by fire, by another church which later, in 782 AD, was dedicated to the Spanish martyrs Just and Pasteur. This second basilica was in its turn replaced by a pre-Romanesque church - now referred to as the Théodard church due to the name of the...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 0.09 km

Archbishops Palace The Archbishop Palace in Narbonne is the second largest ecclesiastic building complex in France after the Pope's residence in Avignon.
The complex includes the Old Palace "Palais Vieux" that was built between 13th and the 14th centuries and comprises The Gilles Aycelin Dungeon, and the Saint Martial and Madeleine Towers and the New Palace of Gothic style that was built in the 14th century - by successive Archbishops - but overhauled in the 17th and the 18th centuries.
The Archbishop Palace house now the Archeology Museum, the Museum of Arts and History and the City Hall of Narbonne.
The Gilles Aycelin Tower is the highest of the 3 tower that make the Palace.
It was built between 1295 and 1306 by Archbishop...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 8.98 km

La Clape The little massif of La Clape, just outside of Narbonne, is a renowned wine growing area.
Its wines fall under the AOC (Appellation d'Origine Contrôle) of Coteaux de Languedoc.
La Clape name means "pile of stones" in the local Occitan language.
The region, with around 3000 hours of sunshine per year, is one of the sunniest of France.
The quality and uniqueness of La Clape wines are due to the microclimate of the area and the good combination of sun, soil and wind - there are 13 winds with names like Lebech, Gregou, Medjournaous, etc. that sweep the little calcareous massif!
The wine growing on La Clape began during the roman occupation of the South of France in the first century before Christ....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 10.58 km

Fontfroide Abbey Fontfroide Abbey is situated in the beautiful masif with the same name - small rolling hills not higher then 300 meters covered by meditereanan vegetation - close to the city of Narbonne.
The abbey initially founded in 1093 joined the Cistercian religious order in 1145 and kept on being expanded until the 14the century.
During the cruisade The Albigensian Crusade of the 13th century it was one of the headquarters of the Papal forces, under the leadership of the abbot Arnaud Amalric.
The abbey it is a wonderfully preserved monasic residence and is listed as Historic Monument by the French Ministry of Culture.
Finish your visit with a very nice easy hike to the Cross of Fontfroide...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 15.49 km

Oppidum d’Enserune Oppidum d'Ensérune is the site of one of the most important Gaul villages in the South of France. The Oppidum was inhabited from the bronze age up until and including the roman occupation.
The museum displays a nice collection of Gaul arms and ceramics.
The Oppidum is located on the hill overlooking the Canal du Midi with its 170m Malpas tunnel dug in 1679 but also the strange looking pie like dried lake bed of Montady ( the lake was dried in 1270 when the sun rays positioned ditches were dug)....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 15.68 km

Répudre Bridge Channel The Répudre bridge channel, built in 1676, is the first aqueduct bridge built by Pierre Paul de Riquet and the first of its kind in the world.
It is name this way because it crosses the little creek of Répudre at the border between the the communal territories of Paraza and Ventenac.
It is a backcountry location but worth a detour.
The little town of Ventenac - population just over 500 - is situated on the hill overlooking the "Canal du Midi" and the plains of the Aude valley. The place was inhabited since Roman times and it was they, the Romans, who gave the town the name Aventinus from where Ventenac name derives.
Ventenac territory is famous for producing one of the best...

facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 22.74 km

The Seven Lock Water Stairway With more then 300,000 visitors every year the Fonserannes locks are one of the most important tourist attraction of the Canal du Midi and a marvel of the hydro technical engineering of the 17th century.
Built in 1697 the lock complex is 300 meters long and has a difference in level of 21.50 meters.
From the initial 9 locks there are in use only 7 now....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 24.2 km

Saint Nazaire Cathedral Saint Nazaire Cathedral of Béziers stands on the site of an old church destroyed by the fire on the 22nd of July 1209 when the whole city is burned down by the cathar crusaders led by Simon de Montfort.
The Cathedral perched on a hill above Orb river is visible from a long distance and is a symbol of the city. It was built starting in 1215 and its architecture is typical of the "Gothic Méditerranéen" style.
The Cathedral interior is ornate with sculptures, murals and stained glass dating from as early as 13th century.
The western side flanked by two towers has an exceptional 10 meters in diameter rosette....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 24.31 km

Roman Amphitheatre During the Roman times Béziers was a flourishing town of the province Septimania, situated on Via Domtia a road linking Rome with Iberian Peninsula. The amphitheatre that was discovered in 1992 was probably built in the first century AD. At the time the amphitheatre was able to receive close to 15,000 spectators...
facebook share tweeter share

Cathar Village At around: 28.29 km

Minerve Situated on the southern part of the Natural Park of Haute-Languedoc, at the foot-hills of Montainge Noire and only 1 hour drive from the Mediterranean sea, the little village of Minerve, population 122, is in the same time the historic capital of the Minervois region, an outstanding historic AND geologic site and a member of the "Most beautiful villages of France" - "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" - community.
Built on a rocky bluff, Minerve, or Menerba in the local Occitan language, overlooks from an altitude of more than 60 meters (200 feet) the gorges of the Cesse and Brian Rivers.
The Minerve village region - "le Minervois" - was inhabited since the prehistoric times. The region, together with the whole...

facebook share tweeter share

Mysterious At around: 29.83 km

A dolmen is defined as "a structure usually regarded as a tomb, consisting of two or more large, upright stones set with a space between and capped by a horizontal stone".
The word dolmen comes from the Breton language: daul signifies table and moen means stone.
This etymology led some to believe that the dolmens were druidic altars built in open air. Most probably however the dolmens were Neolithic common funeral chambers - since usually many skeletons were discovered inside.
The "Morel dos Fados" dolmen - the dolmen of the "Fairies Hill" in Occitan language - is located on a little pine trees covered hill on the territory of Pépieux commune at the border between Aude and Hérault departments of southwest of France,...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 32.81 km

Lagrasse Abbey and Village The medieval little village of Lagrasse is a proud member of « Les Plus beaux Villages de France « organisation. It is situated in the department of Aude and is crossed by the little river l’Orbieu. The village’s name comes from the Occitan "grassa" that means fertile since it is surrounded by fertile vineyards and olive fields.
The village was formed around its Abbey. Later during the 13th century the newer fortified town was built on the other bank of the river l’Orbieu opposite from the Abbey.
During the Hundred Years War (1337- 1453) the fortifications of the town were rebuilt on the order of the Seneschal (the royal officer in charge of justice and control of...

facebook share tweeter share

For treasure hunters! At around: 35.9 km

Capendu and Alaric Mountain Capendu is a little town - population just over 1,500 - situated some 20km east of Carcassonne, at the feet of the Alaric Mountain, on the north side of the Corbières massif. This positioning close to the mountain gave the town its name that was initially Campendut which means steep hill; cam: hill and pendut: steep.
Capendu is, like many urban communities of the region, a circular defensive town. Its center is marked by a little rocky outcrop on which stands the ruined choir of a 13th century chapel, all that now remains of Capendu’s medieval castle. Surrounding the town's centre is a defensive wall and houses - built outside of this fortified line - disposed in rings around the...

facebook share tweeter share

Cathar Castle At around: 36.31 km

Villerouge-Termenés Castle Situated in the heart of the village of Villerouge Termenès the castle that bears the same name is a wonderful example of the medieval military architecture of the Corbiére region. The castle was probably built in the middle of the 13th century on the site of an older one. From its foundation until the French Revolution the castle belonged to the powerful Archbishop of Narbonne.
The castle now presents an very interesting audio visual exhibition that traces the life of the village in the 14th century.
The castle is intimately related with the history of the Catharism. It is in its central court that one of the last "Perfecti", Guilhelm Bélibaste, was burnt at stake on the 24th of August 1321.
The...

facebook share tweeter share

Cathar Castle At around: 36.85 km

Aguilar Castle One of the "five sons" of Carcassonne the castle was build at the beginning of 13th century.
During the cruisade was owned by the family de Termes - cathar defenders and vassals of the counts of Carcassonne.
It fell to the crusaders army lead by Simon de Montfort in 1210 and after that it became one of the royal fortresses guarding the frontier with Aragon....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 39.56 km

Fort Salses Salses Fortress situated in the little village from which it took its name is a splendid example of the « transition » military architecture - that is the transition between the medieval fortress and the bastioned fortifications of the later centuries. It was build on the order of the Catholic Kings Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile starting in 1497 for the protection against French invasions. In 1503 the fortress resisted its first siege despite being unfinished. Its building continued in the first part of the 16th century.
The fortress has a rectangular plan (115 meters long and 90 meters wide) with round towers placed at each corner. It was built deep in the ground in order to evade...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 40.47 km

The Town of Agde Agde is a small town – population just above 20,000 – on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea in the department of Herault in south west France (in Languedoc-Roussillon region). It is also a renowned resort – during summer month the population swells to up to 200,000 people – ten times the number of permanent inhabitants.
Agde is the third oldest town in France (after Béziers and Marseillan) being founded in the 5th century BC by Greek navigators.
The name Agde comes from the Greek Agathé which means “good” or “prosperous”.
Laying at the mouth of Herault river that flows into the sea here Agde was from the outset and up to the 18th century one of the most important maritime ports of...

facebook share tweeter share

Cathar Castle At around: 41.26 km

Termes Castle The Termes Castle was the place of the longest siege during the Crusade against the Cathars. The siege that was lead by Simon de Montfort lasted from August until 23rd of November 1210 and was documented in detail by Pierre des Vaux de Cernay, who wrote "Historia Albigensis" in 1212.
After the Crusade the castle becomes a French frontier fortification, one of the so called "5 sons of Carcassonne", guarding the Spanish border.
The Castle is situated on top of a hill overlooking the Termes village, a beautiful tiny - population 54 - community. The walk from the village to the castle takes around 15 minutes and is easier then it looks!...

facebook share tweeter share

Cathar Castle At around: 49.27 km

Queribus Castle - A Cathar Fortress Queribus Castle is considered the last stonghold of the cathare resistence.
Its fall in 1255 marks the end of the Crusade against the cathars.
The castle is situated on a 729 meter high rock above the picturesque village of Cucugnan.
From this isolated pointy promontory the castle surveys the Languedoc plains, the Alberes massif and further the Mediterranean sea.It is considered to be one of the "Five Sons of Carcassone" along with Termes, Puilaurens, Peyrepertuse and Aguilar the famous line of five strategically placed castles that was protecting the french border with Spain - until 1659 when the border was moved after the "Treaty of the Pyrenees" more south.
The castle still preserves many vestiges of the times when it...

facebook share tweeter share