Top Rated Tourist Sites in South West of France
The abbey of Conques is dedicated to Sainte Foy and once housed this saint's relics - now exposed in the treasure next to the ancient cloister.
Saint Foy - or Sainte Fides - was born in Agen in 290 AD. Being raised by a Christian nurse...
The Fortified City of Carcassonne
Standing on a hilltop overlooking to the north the Aude river and to the south the vineyards of the Languedoc region, the "Cité of Carcassonne" is, with its 3kms of...
Arcachon and Pilat (Pyla) Dune
Arcachon town was transformed in the middle of the 19th century from a fishers' village into an elegant marine resort by two businessmen, Emile and Isaac Pereire, who created the so called "Winter City" a district intended to be a true open sky sanatorium (the Pereires also extended the railroad from Bordeaux to Arcachon in order to facilitate the tourist influx).
The written history of Belvès starts in the 9th century - even though the region was inhabited since antiquity - when a monastery is built of the site of the actual Notre Dame de Montcuq church. In the 11th century the village is fortified - from the old fortifications there still exist one of the gates and the tower...
Cirque de Gavarnie
The first one is a natural monument and more known: it is the Cirque de Gavarnie.
The Cirque of Gavarnie is one of the most beautiful sites of the Pyrenees. It is a 6km in diameter and up to 1500 meters...
Collioure Castle And Village
Between 1276 and 1344 the castle was the residence of the Kings of Majorca. During this period the castle is extended and enhanced. In 1345 the castle is taken by the king of Aragon Pedro IV starting at that moment until 1642 when the Spanish occupation ends is little by little changed from a royal residence into a fortress. In 1642...
Condom and Flaran Abbey
While it has 18 buildings listed as historical monuments by the Ministry of Culture of France the most important are the Saint Pierre Cathedral and its cloister.
The town of Condom, named in the ancient times "Condatomagus" was inhabited since roman occupation of Aquitaine.
The first Christian church of Condom was built by Benedictine monks in the beginning of the 11th...
The 67 meters (220 feet) high lighthouse, situated some...
Episcopal City of Albi
The complex includes the Cathedral, the Berbie Palace, the Saint Salvi Church, the Old Bridge and the old residential area of downtown Albi and covers a surface of 63 hectares.
Sainte Cecile Cathedral - 113 meters long, 35 meters wide and with a 78 meters high bell tower - is the biggest brick made Cathedral in...
The masterpiece that the bridge is, is product of the collaboration between the French engineer Michel Vilrogeux (also designer of Ré Island Bridge, Jacques Chaban-Delmas bridge in Bordeaux etc.) and the British architect Norman Foster (designer of the London City Hall, Stansted Airport etc.).
It was built in exactly 3 years between December 12, 2001 the day...
Saint André Cathedral
It is listed in the UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
The cathedral was consecrated on the 1st of may 1096 by Pope Urban II, the champion of the First Crusade.
Saint André cathedral witnessed throughout centuries many events that marked the history of Europe. On the...
Saint Dominic House
His first stay in Toulouse, between April 1210 and May 1211, was actually the longest and was prompted by the help that Fulk, bishop of Toulouse and a friend of Dominique's, needed in order to fight the spread of catharism.
Actually Saint Dominique first arrived in the region that is...
San Juan Bautista Church
According to the memorial plaque on the exterior wall the door the pair entered the church was forever walled up being considered that...
Sarlat - Old Town
With a population of just under 10,000 inhabitants Sarlat is situated in the department of Dordogne region Aquitaine of the South West of France. It is the "capital" of the old region of Perigord Noir. The little town has however 74 buildings on the register of historic monuments and in on the tentative list of UNESCO's World Heritage.
Sarlat grew around the...
The Cathedral of Saint Bertrand de Comminges
The cathedral situated in the village of Saint Bertrand de Comminges - member of the "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" organization - on the top of a steep 515 meter (1700 feet) hill that dominates the valley that the Haute Garonne...
Strict Standards: mysqli_next_result(): There is no next result set. Please, call mysqli_more_results()/mysqli::more_results() to check whether to call this function/method in /home2/south805/public_html/top-sites.php on line 149