cities in france

Cities in the southwest France: history, tourist sites, activities.

View All Cities

france tours suggestions

Eight suggestions for touring the southwest of France.

View All Stories

french gastronomy

Traditional dish recipes from southwest part of France.

View All Recipes

french trivia

France in facts and figures! Interesting less known facts about France

Check Out!

Tourist Sites in and around Cahors

Tourist sites and attractions within a radius of km* from the city center

* The distances are point to point and not driving distances!

Listed as Great Site of Midi-Pyrenees At around: 0.09 km

Cahors Old Town The old part of Cahors is scattered with little gems, old houses or building structures dating from the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance, like the Roaldes Hotel called House Henry IV dating from the 15th century, the Saint-Urcisse church or the old homes of the Olivier de Magny Square, not to mention the little "Secret Gardens" - little yards exquisitely decorated with plants believed to be bought to Europe by the crusaders - but the crown jewel is the Saint Etienne Cathedral and its cloister.
The cathedral was built in the 12th century (consecrated in 1119 by Pope Calixte II ) on the place of a the church built earlier in the 7th century by Bishop Saint Didier.
The church...

facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 0.86 km

Valentré Bridge Valentré Bridge is the most outstanding fortified bridge of France.
It is listed as a historic monument since 1840 and is now a part of UNESCO's world heritage. The 6 arches, 3 square towers bridge was built between 1308 and 1378. In 1870 it was restored by architect Paul Gout. It is Gout who added a little sculpted devil hanging on the upper part of the central tower of the bridge, a reference to the legend that recounts the pact between the bridge medieval builder and the demon.
The story goes that in order to erect the bridge the builder accepts to give his soul to the devil if the prince of darkness was going to help and complete all the tasks...

facebook share tweeter share

Listed as Great Site of Midi-Pyrenees At around: 18.12 km

Saint Cirq Lapopie When coming from Cahors on the departmental road, Saint Cirq Lapopie village looks like hanging from a cliff above the river Lot.
It is one proud member of the "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" organization and was elected the favorite village of France in 2012 ("village préféré des Français").
In middle ages the village was the seat of one of the four viscounties of Quercy region.
The name Lapopie has a curious origin and comes from the shape of the hill the village occupies: in Occitan language "la popia" describes the promontory as having the shape of a ...breast!
The village was inhabited during the Gallo-Roman times. The Romans built there a tower that became later, in the 13th century, the foundation of...

facebook share tweeter share

Mysterious At around: 24.26 km

Cénevières Castle Cénevières castle is considered an epitome of the Renaissance architecture in Quercy region of the department of Lot. Hanging from a cliff 50 meters above the Lot River the castle was built between the 9th and 14th century as a defensive fort by its first two successive owners: the La Popie and Gourdon families.
In the first half of the 16th century Flotard de Gourdon, Viscount of Cénevières and Gaiffier and his wife Margueritte de Cardaillac, Baronne de Saint-Cirq Lapopie transformed the castle in a Renaissance palace. They added a central building with a gallery with nine Tuscan style columns, painted ceilings, an alchemy room, opening large carved windows.
Their son Antoine de Gourdon, a Calvinism convert, was one of the...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 25.01 km

Puy l'Évêque Puy l'Eveque, population 2178, is a picturesque little village situated on a hill overlooking the river Lot.
The name of the village Puy l'Eveque comes from its geographical position on a hilltop, "puy" coming from the Celtic word "puech" that means an elevated location, and the name Eveque was added in the 13th century when the Bishop of Cahors (eveque is the French for bishop) took possession of the village whose Senior of the time became a cathar sympathizer.
In the 14th and the 15th century the village is devastated by the constant fighting between the English and French during the Hundred Year Wars.
During the religious wars the village was attacked and was able to fend off the army of Huguenots led...

facebook share tweeter share

Les Plus Beaux Villages de France At around: 32.25 km

Lauzerte Lauzerte is a village of 1500 inhabitants situated in the southwest of the old French region of Quercy. It is a fully deserving member of the community of "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" ("The most beautiful villages of France").
Situated on a steep rocky outcrop overlooking the valleys of Petite Barguelonne and Lendou Rivers, Lauzerte was founded in the 12th century by the count of Toulouse. According to the legend Lauzerte name comes from lizard (lézard in French) a reptile widespread in sunny Quercy. The lizard is today an emblem of the commune, and even figures on its coat of arms.
Lauzerte has also been since the Middle Ages a stop on the road to Saint...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 37.93 km

Bonaguil Castle Laurence of Arabia described it in 1908 "Its so perfect it seems ridiculous to call it a ruin". Bonaguil castle sits perched on a hill overlooking the Theze and Lémance rivers valleys. The castle was initially built in the 13th century but extensively overhauled in the 15th, 16th and 18th century. It is a live representation of the evolution of the defense architecture throughout the centuries.
The castle is first mentioned in a document dating from 1271 when it was in the property of King Philippe III Le Hardi.
The most important reconstruction phase in the history of the castle took part in the life of Bérenger de Roquefeuil (1448-1530) the landlord who dedicated 30 years of his life to make Bonaguil the legendary...

facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 41.53 km

The village of Rocamadour Rocamadour is a medieval village and a pilgrimage location declared in 2008 one of the Great Sites of Midi-Pyrenees ("Grand Site Midi-Pyrénées"). The Sanctuary is also listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Perched on a cliff above the canyon of the little river L'Alzou, Rocamoadour is together with Eiffel Tower, Mount Saint Michel, Carcassonne fortified city and the Versailles one of the most visited tourist sites of France.
Rocamdaour is described in a local Occitan language saying as "Lous oustals sul riou, las gleisas sus oustls, lous rocs sus las gleisas, lou castel sul roc" a colorful yet exact description of the town that translates: "The houses above the river, the churches above the houses, the rocks above the churches,...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 43.42 km

Domme Hilltop Village Domme, memeber of the "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" association is a medieval village fortified by the King Philippe III in 1280 during the last years of the Cathare crusade.
Between the years 1307 and 1318 some parts of the fortification were used as a prison for around 70 Templiers. Their wall writings are still visible today in the two enterance towers.
Domme village offers also an exceptional panorama of the Dordogne valley and meander bend of Montfort....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 45.04 km

Fenelon Castle Fenelon Castle is a feodal fortress that overlooks the Dordogne and Bouriane valleys.
It preserves intact all its defensive system as well as its original stone roofs.
The castle, a private property that can be visited and is still inhabited by its owners, features important collections of furniture, art and ancient weapons dating from the Middle Ages unti Napoleon times.
There is also a "curiosities" room that presents all kind of believed legendary objects: a giant's tooth, a small piece of the Trojan horse, centaur hoof etc.
The oldest vestiges of the castle belong to the 13th century. The castle played its role in the Cathare Crusade , the Hundread Year War and the Religious...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 45.66 km

Gavaudun Fortress The Gavaudan castle is now a ruin that reminds the traveler of the times when it was guarding the passage between the Perigord and Agen regions.
The castle was initially built in the 11th century and was inhabited in the 12th century by the Henriciens - a group of heretics called this way after their leader Henri l'Ermite.
To eradicate this heresy the bishop of Perigueux Jean d'Assida besieged the castle and after taking it in 1165 gave the order of its destruction.
In 1314 Alsmunstang de Valens rebuilt the castle and added the 20.80 meters high donjon.
Throughout the centuries the castle belonged to several prominent families of the South West of France....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 46.66 km

La Roque-Gageac village Member of the "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France" association la Roque-Gageac village is situated at 8 km of Sarlat.
The small village built against a steep cliff that descends to Dordogne river is still dominated by the Tarde manoir tower - former property of Tarde family whose member Jean Tarde was a the chaplain and friend of King Henry IV and friend of Galilee from whom Tarde receives the first telescope of Perigord.
The little church carved into the stone in the 14the century is located next to an exotic garden - that takes advantage of the natural hot house conditions of the south exposed cliffs - where one can admire all year long Lemon, Banana and Pomegranate ...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 46.92 km

Castelnau Castle Like the majority of medieval castle Castelnau is perched on the top of the hill, in its case overlooking the Dordogne.
Its first structure was built in the 12th century.
During the cathar crusade, the castle belonging at the time to Bernard de Casnac, a cathar sympathizer, it was partially destroyed by the armies of Simon de Montfort, who for a short time took possession of it.
Towards the end of the crusade the castle was burned down, on the order of the Bishop of Bordeaux Guillaume Amanieu de Genève, but shortly reconstructed.
From the 13th century dates the square donjon that can still be seen today.
During the Hundread Years War between France and England the castle changes sides...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 47.46 km

Penne Village and Castle The little medieval village of Penne - population just over 500 - lies on top of a hill overlooking the Aveyron River canyon. Looking like it will fall anytime from the tip of the hill are the ruins of the Penne Castle.
The first mention of a castle in the village of Penne dates from 825 AD and its first known senior was Geoffroi mentioned in 1096 in documents related to with Raymond, Count of Toulouse, whose vassal Geoffroi was.
The castle took part in all the conflicts that shook the southwest region of France during the middle ages.
During the Albigesian crusade, it's lord being a Cathar sympathizer, the castle was seized by Simon de Montfort, the crusade leader,...

facebook share tweeter share

UNESCO Heritage List At around: 47.51 km

Saint Pierre Abbey - Moissac Moissac Saint Pierre Abbey is Romanesque art masterpiece, listed since 1998 in the UNESCO's World Heritage List. In his famous novel "The name of the rose" Umberto Eco describes in details the tympanum of the church's south side portal. (In the novel the monastery is placed in Italy. The church was also used for taping some scenes in the homonym movie!).
While the legend says that the monastery was founded by the king of Francs Clovis, it was most probably founded during the reign of Louis I (778-840) also known as Louis le Pieux the son of Charlemagne.
At its inception the monastery followed the rules of monastic life of Saint Benedict and later starting with the middle of...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 47.78 km

Bridge Channel of Moissac The bridge-channel of Cacor, Moissac - part of the "Canal Latéral de la Garonne" - was buit between 1842 and 1846. The bridge over river Tarn is 356 meters long and has 13 arches.
The bridge was finished in April 1846 and the navigation between Toulouse and Moissac opened in the fall of the same year.
It is a nice place where the locals come for a walk or for jogging....

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 49.45 km

Château Biron - The Haunted Castle This impressive 1000 year old castle was initially in the possession of the Gontaut-Birons - one of the most powerful noble family of the old Perigord.
In the 12th century it became the seat of one of the 4 baronies of Perigord.
During the crusade against the cathars it was occupied in 1212 by Simon de Montfort who took it from its owner Gaston de Gontaunt a heretic supporter. The 100 Years' War saw the castle passing constantly from French side and English and back.
Since 1978 is the property of the department of Dordogne.
In its complex architecture it reflects the different historical periods it witnessed.
The legend says that the castle is haunted by one of its former owners Charles de...

facebook share tweeter share

Plus Beaux Villages de France At around: 49.62 km

Najac Village and Royal Fortress Najac is famous for its beautiful village – one of the most beautiful of France (“Plus beaux villages de France”) for its royal fortress buit in 1263 and for its surrounding beautiful region of Aveyron river canyons.
The little village population 750 has beautiful houses dating from the as long ago as the 14th century and its main characteristic is the enlargement of the main street that forms an oval place.
The royal fortress – now a still imposing ruin – was built in the 13th century on the order of the last Count of Toulouse Alphonse de Poitiers for the protection of the Rouergue region. The stronghold took an active role in the Albigensian Crusade and the Hundred Years Wars...

facebook share tweeter share

At around: 49.65 km

Beynac Village and Castle Beynac Castle is situated in the 'Beynac-et-Cazenac' village which is a member of "Plus Beaux Villages de France" association. The castle origins are not exactly known - but possibly it dates from the 8th century when a fortress was built on the location.
The castle that can be seen today was mainly built in 12th century by the Beynac family and it became the seat of one of the four baronies of Perigord. Its location is almost surprising for the modern eye: it sits atop of a calcareous cliff that descends abruptly to the Dordogne river.
In 9 ceturies of history Beynac castle had many owners the most famous being the English king Richard the Lion Heart and Simon de Monfort...

facebook share tweeter share