Cahors's Short History
Cahors is situated in the Lot department of France. The inhabitants, a little over 20 thousands, are called Cadurciens et les Cadurciennes. Cahors has 120 building listed as historical monuments.
In antiquity Cahors was the Gaul settlement Divona, named this way in the honor of the Celtic water goddess Divona. What is now the Chartreux fountain was a sacred place where the locals were paying their respects to this divinity.
During the roman occupation of the region, Divona settlement became the town of Divona Cadurcorum, a prosperous city due to its wine and linen commerce as well as its crop growing activity.
In the early Middle Ages the town knows another thriving period under is bishop Saint Didier (Desiderius) in the 7th century AD, before knowing the ravages of Saracens and Vikings destruction in the 8th century.
Cahors was and still is situated on the route to Saint Jacques de Compostelle - route that starts in Puy-en-Velay and is called "Via Podiensis". At the apogee of the pilgrimage in the 12th century Cahors saw the influx of pilgrims.
12th century marked also the beginning of a booming time for Cahors that lasted until the 14th century.
From these times date the Saint Etienne Cathedral and the Valentré bridge.
In 1316 a native of Cahors, Jacques Duèze becomes pope under the name Jean XXII and moves the papacy firmly at Avignong. Pope Jean XXII establishes in June 1331 the University of Cahors. This university will last until 1751 when King Louis XV signs the edict of the merger of Cahors and Toulouse universities.
The religious wars began in Cahors in 1561 year when occured also the first massacre of Protestants. Cahors is taken on the 30th of May 1580 by Henri de Navarre and his Protestant armies and returned the same year at the Peace of Fleix to the Catholic lords. The Edict of Nantes of 1598 put an end to religious wars, and granted to Protestants their rights.